Wednesday, March 11, 2009

That 10pm feed

I have a small dilemna. It's high time that Benjamin, who is almost 11 months old, stopped his 10pm feed. Thing is I'm actually scared of what might happen if I do! Yes, I am scared. "Of a baby?" you may be asking. If you don't know why, read my first few posts. Things are in a nice rhythm at the moment. He sleeps from 7pm until 5.30 or 6am and most nights he doesn't wake for his 10pm feed....but I give it to him every night anyway because I don't want to take the chance of him waking! Things have not always been this peachy - yes, to me even a 5.30am wake up is peachy.


I am so worried that somehow if I change one thing, everything will go haywire. You see, it's happened before. Once when he was about 4 months old, I took some advice that caused him to start waking every 2 to 3 hours at night when he was actually doing 5 or 6 hour stretches. (This lady told me to go with the flow a bit more...with spirited babies there is no such thing as flow!!) And then we went away over Christmas and the night waking began again. Consistency is the key with spirited babies. They are very sensitive to change. So as you can see, I am lacking in courage when it comes to trying new things out with my baby!


Do I really need to do something I'm not ready to do? But if I take his age into account, he really "shouldn't" need his late night feed. Is that comparing though? And wasn't my motto whatever works? Hmmm. To be honest, I'm just not sure on this one. It would be great to be able to go to bed earlier.


Any advice?


2 comments:

Sammy said...

No advice at all. I'd be scared too!!!! I am being VERY helpful here aren't I??? But you know I love and support you! xxxx

Simoney said...

Hey Pen... I know it's such a dilemma. Here's a thought: rather than just STOP the 10.30pm feed altogether, why not phase it out slowly. This is what I did with Jono, to get him from feeding during the night. When he has his feed, reduce the amount you are giving him. The next night give him even less. After a few nights of gradually reducing the quantity of milk he gets at the feeds, don't wake him for the feed: see if he wakes up himself... chances are he might not (subconsciously) think it's worth it for that teeny weeny feed? Just a thought? xx :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...