Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Haircut hysterics


To say Turbo does not like having his hair cut is an understatement. We only cut it every few months because he goes into absolute hysterics. Every. single. time.

Turbo is loud at the best of times. We live in a block of units. I can't imagine what the neighbours thought when at 5.30pm last night, there were tortured screams and hysterical sobbing, non-stop for about 15 minutes. Non- stop. From the depth of his belly, he used his lungs full force. I'm not talking about the kind of crying kids do when they don't want to sleep. This is much worse. My stress levels go through the roof.

And for what? A skew, terribly done, shorter in some patches hair cut. Mr Samoa does his best but when your subject is also thrashing for some of the time, it kind of limits what one can do.

Then to top it all off, I popped him straight into the shower, where he once again, went hysterical, because he doesn't like water coming down into his face. I had to forcefully hold him in the shower just to rinse the hair off his body. It left me wondering where the heck we had gone wrong.

I am actually getting a little worked up just writing about it!

We bought clippers to avoid this happening at a salon, but I wonder, would it be better to let the experts try?

Do you have any toddler hair cutting tips? Surely it can't be like every time?

post signature

9 comments:

Amy said...

Is he a heavy sleeper? If so, you could do it then. Or borrow a playstation driving game/special treat that is ONLY allowed when he sits still. Use scissors for a while, the vibrations and noise of the clippers can freak some sensitive personalities. Reward afterwards, placing the reward within sight while he gets it done. I would consider a box/collection of cheap little dinkie cars that he gets a new one each successful trim. Also, assuming he is awake, make sure he is well covered up so that he doesn't have to be showered, in order to minimise the stress for him. Positive re-enforcement, with a mirror set up for him to watch the process. As he gets older, you need to equip him to deal with stressful situations by negotiating strategies around the discomfort. In time, you will be able to use examples ie "remember when you were so brave and let daddy cut your hair without crying. I am so proud of you for that" etc. Also, the less worked up you get about it the better. You are a great mum Penny - reward yourself too :)

Meghan Maloney Photography said...

Oh boy! Things that really upset your kids are always way worse for us as a parent. Would he be the same if you got it cut at a hairdressers? I must admit I chickened out from the start of the whole home hairdressing experience. We have a great place that is perfectly set up for kids with a special tall chair and a cool TV set up where kids get to choose which DVD they want to watch whilst the cutting takes place. Loved Amy's suggestions too though :-)

Sammy said...

Poor you! Rupi used to go mental at the hairdressers, now I send him out with the nanny and he behaves. Hmm. Maybe someone other than you or T taking him? That worked for us as we had the full on tantrum, but in.the.hairdressers. The shame....

Lyns said...

Oh my - so stressful!!
Bubble LOVES the hairdresser - the mirror, the attention...may take after her Dad's side of the family :)
Rangi HATES it. The only time it kinda worked was when i sat Bubble up on the chair with him and they put on a Thomas dvd. Last time sucked - I had to have him on my lap, hairdresser gave him a lollipop which got covered in hair...gross won't be doing that again. Shall we take our boys together - scream out the hairdressers and reward ourselves with a coffee and cake afterwards??? I'm up for it...

Penny said...

Lyns, that sounds like a plan! Although I won't be going near his hair for a good few weeks. I'm still recovering : )

Nikkey said...

Oh Pen, so understand and symphathise. Have been going through the same thing for years with my 2 - also just cut their hair and it went better. Not perfect as L still has uneven bits and nearly cut his ear off ...

But we wrap them in a sheet so not one bit of hair falls on their bodies as that freaks them out.

We also used a timer (or clock works too) and for every minute of no crying I said they could choose one sweet.

Also make sure you oil the parts of the razor before because else it can stick and pull their hair.
Good luck for next time : )

The Redhead Riter said...

I used to cut my daughters hair and did so for many years. She sat still as a church mouse. I think girls are a little more tolerant of the beauty thing.

debbie f said...

I just ran across your blog and I love it! My eleven month old sounds a lot like your oldest and its like a preview of things to come. I was just noticing that my little guy's hair is getting a bit too long and trying to figure out if it is better to just pass him off as our little sheep dog. Anyway, enjoying your stories all the way from Los Angeles!

Maxabella said...

Penny, for what it's worth, I found going to the hairdresser solved our problem. The first trip was a NIGHTMARE, but I had pre-warned them and they were happy to welcome us back. They had distractions ready and they are just so quick and know how to get the job done with a minimum of fuss. It's gotten easier every visit since and these days we just go and get the haircut without issue or complaint. x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...